Happy Super Bowl Week, friends!!
Or as I like to think of it, Happy Excuse-To-Make-All-Of-My-Favorite-Dips Week!
Yes, those of you who have followed this blog for years know that I’m much more of a “social” sports fan. But whenever there’s a big game on, I’ll always gladly take the excuse to kick back on the couches for an afternoon with friends. And you can always count on me to bring along one (or three) of my favorite dips to munch on.
9 times out of 10, I’ll admit, I almost always go with chips and salsa. Or when it’s chilly out, I tend to let the crock pot do the work whipping up a warm spinach artichoke or buffalo chicken dip for me. But if I happen to be out at the market looking for dip inspiration and spy some ripe avocados, there’s no question ever in my mind.
It’s guacamole time.
And my favorite variation on this classic as of late? Chunky guacamole time.
I don’t know what it is lately, but I seem to be obsessed with chunkier variations on my favorite foods.
Mashed potatoes? Nix the perfectly smooth stuff, I want skins and legit chunks of potatoes in my spuds. Salsa? Forget pureeing until smooth, I’m making everything chunky-style lately. Ice cream? Chunky monkey for life! (<-That one totally counts.)
The same goes for guacamole.
Sure, there will always be a place in my heart for the ultra-smooth, ultra-delicious, classic style of guacamole. But for a fun variation, I also love just dicing everything up and tossing it together like a chunky salsa. It tastes as irresistibly delicious as ever. But instead of being a big bowl of green mush, you actually get to see all of those pretty vibrant ingredients mixed in together…
…which just makes you want to dive in even more, eh? 🙂
Definitely a winning recipe for game day, or any ol’ day you feel ready to guac and roll. So get to dicing, and enjoy!
Yield: 6-8 servings
This chunky guacamole recipe is quick and easy to make, it’s naturally gluten-free and vegan, and it’s always a hit with a crowd! Perfect for game day, appetizers, or just everyday snacking!
- 3 large ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 large jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and finely-diced
- half a medium red onion, peeled and diced
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (such as cherry, grape, or roma tomatoes)
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, loosely packed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Add the avocadoes, jalapeno, red onion, lime juice, tomatoes, and cilantro to a large bowl. Sprinkle evenly with salt and cumin.
- Using two spoons, toss the guacamole until it is evenly combined. Taste and season with extra salt if needed. (I usually like mine more salty.)
- Serve immediately with chips for dipping.